Attorney Near Me for a Contested Divorce in Canton IL
The Brave Law Center can provide you with the legal advice, services, and representation you need for a contested divorce in Canton IL. Unfortunately, not all marriages come to an amicable resolution. Your ex can make your life difficult by fighting you every step through the divorce process. However, you can receive the guidance you require to get through these difficult times. Attorneys at Brave Law specialize in family law, including divorce cases. We can guide you to make the process less stressful in the following ways:
- Help to protect your rights and work toward the best deal for you.
- Assistance navigating the divorce process and understanding your responsibilities and rights.
- Representation in court to fight on your behalf.
- Advice and support during an emotional time.
- Negotiate more favorable terms for you when property, bills, and other finances get divided.
- Fight to protect your parental rights if your ex tries to restrict your child custody.
- Dispute or present evidence on your behalf on hearings determining spousal support and child support agreements.
- Preparing and filing of legal documents.
Contact us for help with a contested divorce.
What Is a Contested Divorce?
Our attorney can explain your rights, legal processes, and even what it means to be involved in a contested divorce in Canton IL. A contested divorce means that you or your ex want to contest one or more of the issues that need resolution. In most cases, contested divorces occur when former spouses cannot agree on one or more of the following issues:
- Child custody.
- Visitation schedules for the non-custodial parent.
- The amount of alimony payments.
- Length of time for alimony payments.
- The division of marital assets and expenses.
- Who gets to stay in the family home.
- Which household will get to keep family pets.
The Process for a Contested Divorce
Many individuals unfamiliar with the legal divorce process do not know about the steps necessary to resolve a contested divorce in Canton IL. A divorce attorney from Brave Law can guide you every step of the way. Here is a brief overview of what you can expect during a contested divorce.
- Get divorce papers if you are the party planning to file for the divorce.
- Consult with a Brave Law divorce attorney to discuss your circumstances and the issues that need to be resolved during the divorce process.
- Our divorce attorney can help you prepare and file your divorce papers.
- You will need to get a process server or approved party to serve the papers to your spouse and get a proof of service.
- Our divorce attorney can help you compile important information during the discovery process. This becomes important if you suspect your spouse will try to hide marital assets to avoid splitting them in divorce settlement.
- In many cases, spouses can choose to reach a settlement after the discovery. However, some cases will need to go to a trial if parties cannot resolve their differences. Our divorce attorney can represent you in court.
- If you disagree with the court ruling, you can choose to have our divorce attorney file post-trial motions and appeals. This process lets you explain why you feel the court ruling was unfair.
- The appellate court will either reverse or affirm the ruling. If the ruling gets reversed, the case will go back to trial court for further proceedings or until a settlement gets reached.
Contact Our Local Divorce Attorney
You may need only a few months to reach a settlement or go through a grueling fight for years with a contested divorce in Canton IL. You can get the advice, support, and legal representation you need to get through the process with a Brave Law divorce attorney. Make a consultation request today using our online contact form or by giving us a call at 309-228-9136.