Have a question? Below are some questions our attorneys get asked regularly. If you have a question that is not on this list, please feel free to call us at (309) 685-7900 or contact us online.

I’m thinking of filing for divorce. What’s the first step?

The first step is to meet with a lawyer to discuss all of your options. Every situation is unique. Is it an agreed divorce or a contested divorce? Do you have children? Do you own or rent your home? Do you or your spouse have a retirement account? The answer to these questions will help determine which approach is best for your particular situation, and the attorneys at the Brave Law Center, P.C. have the experience to help anyone in any situation, no matter how unique.

Is it better to just pay off my traffic ticket, or to take it to court?

In some cases, paying your traffic ticket is the fastest and easiest way to get back on the road, but not always. Paying your ticket could potentially suspend your license, and even if it doesn’t, additional tickets on your record, especially if you are a minor, could cause a future suspended license or an increase in insurance premiums. Our attorneys can help you determine the best way to proceed.

What if I have a child and I, or my ex, wants to move out of state?

You need one of our attorneys to work with you on an action plan to facilitate either you moving with your child out of state, or fighting your ex in moving your child out of state. Your attorneys need to thoroughly prepare for trial, taking into consideration numerous factors, including the reasons for the move and the benefit to the child in staying verses moving. We can help modify parenting plans and child-related financial obligations by agreement, and if there can be no agreement, we can proceed to trial.

My driver’s license is suspended. Is there any way to get it back?

In some situations, yes, you may be able to have your driving privileges reinstated, but each situation is different and requires a different approach.  What caused your suspension?  How many years has it been since the suspension? Have you attended counseling if it was for a drug or alcohol-related problem?  Are you delinquent on your child support obligation?  The answers to these questions help us determine if you are a good candidate to set up a hearing with the Illinois Secretary of State seeking reinstatement.  Further, if you are not eligible for full reinstatement, there is a likelihood that you could seek a driving permit in the meantime. Our attorneys will work with you to fast track obtaining driving relief.

What if my spouse and I both want a divorce? Do we each have to hire an attorney? 

If both spouses are on the same page regarding ending the marriage, the attorneys at the Brave Law Center, P.C. frequently represent one spouse, with both parties jointly shaping the terms and signing off on the paperwork. 

What if my partner and I have children but are not married and are splitting up? Do we each have to hire an attorney to prepare a parenting plan? 

Similar to a divorce, if both parents are on the same page regarding a fair parenting plan, the attorneys at the Brave Law Center, P.C. frequently represent one parent, with both parties jointly shaping the terms and signing off on the paperwork. 

If there is a warrant out for my arrest, what should I do?

Consult with an attorney to discuss your options before surrendering yourself to police. There may be steps that you can take to minimize the potential negatives to your situation that a lawyer can discuss with you.

My ex isn’t paying the mandated child support. What can I do?

It’s common to take people to court if they aren’t meeting their legally required support obligations. An attorney at the Brave Law Center, P.C. can file a lawsuit to demand the child support obligor be jailed if you are not paid the money owed to you.

What kind of information do I need to provide to set up a will?

You will need information about your assets and debts, and how you want to distribute your estate to your heirs. An attorney can discuss with you the different inheritance scenarios available in your particular circumstance.

Do I need a will if I don’t own my own home?

Generally, yes. You still have other possessions and assets that can be distributed to your loved ones.  As part of your estate planning package, Brave Law Center, P.C. would also prepare a power of attorney for property and a power of attorney for health care to ensure that you are fully protected.

Criminal, Divorce, Family Law Attorney in Peoria IL

330 NE Perry Ave., Peoria IL 61603

120 S Main St., Eureka, IL 61530

Criminal, Divorce, Family Law Attorney in Peoria IL


Criminal, Divorce, Family Law Attorney in Peoria IL